Traffic offender intervention program
The Traffic Offender Intervention Program (TOIP) is a local-court based program targeting offenders who have pleaded guilty to, or been found guilty of, a traffic offence.
The goal of the program is to provide offenders with the information and skills necessary to develop positive attitudes towards driving and develop safer driving behaviours.
Who can participate in TOIP?
- Any person can apply to undertake the course
- A person's legal representative as well as the magistrate can make an
order for a person to participate in the traffic course.
- Any person interested in participating should contact their nearest
course provider for more information regarding course schedules,
content, and fees.
How is the program delivered?
- TOIP is delivered by facilitators, in person and online using PowerPoint
slides containing information such as key facts and statistics, current road safety campaigns, behavioural strategies, and key messages.
- A participant is required to pay a small fee to the service provider to
undertake the course.
What are a participant's responsibilities in the TOIP program?
Prior to the beginning of the course a participant must provide identification details, the nature of the offence/s and all court related information. A participant is required to actively participate in the course.
- At a minimum, an approved TOIP course must be delivered on two
separate days over two weeks, and the participant must complete all
sessions. This allows time for participants to consolidate information
and self-reflect which is important for behaviour change.
- Individual sessions must run for a minimum of one hour and a
maximum of two hours.
- Participants will need to attend the course, engage with the program to
successfully complete the program.
- Exemptions may be granted for remote locations only if appropriate
homework task/reflections exercises are provided to participate before
and /or after the session.
What happens when the participants complete the program?
Approved TOIP providers are encouraged to issue a Certificate of Completion to all participants who achieve satisfactory attendance, to recognise their achievement in completing the program.
For all enquiries about TOIP, please write to the TOIP mailbox at email@example.com
Existing service providers and service providers wishing to enrol as TOIP providers are requested to write to the TOIP mailbox at firstname.lastname@example.org