Local Court New South Wales


All formal criminal and civil local court proceedings in New South Wales courts are sound recorded.

Official court transcripts, which are written records of the court proceedings prepared in accordance with legislation, are made from these recordings

When are local court transcripts made?

Transcripts of local court proceedings are not prepared in all matters.

If a person needs a typed copy of what was said during a local court case, a request can be made for the sound recording to be typed into a transcript for a set fee.

Alternatively a copy of the sound recording of what was said during a local court case can be requested for a set fee. This is often called a duplicate sound recording.

Who can request a transcript?

The parties to the proceedings or their legal representatives are entitled to obtain a copy of a transcript or copy of the sound recording for a set fee. 

The court or registrar may also permit parties who are not involved in the proceedings to obtain a copy of a transcript or copy of the sound recording for a set fee. The person requesting the transcript must provide the reason for requesting the transcript and the intended purpose in writing

How much do transcripts cost?

The fee for a transcript can be found on the local court fees page.

A person requesting a transcript or copy of the sound recording can seek to have the fee waived or postponed. 

Information and the application form to seek for a fee to be waived or postponed is available on the local court fees page.

How do you order a transcript?

Are you a party in a court proceeding (i.e. defendant, complainant, legal representative, prosecution, plaintiff)?

Order online

Transcripts and recordings can be ordered through the Online Registry Website, provided users have an account. 

Anyone who is a party to a case can order a transcript or recording online. You will be able to order, track, process, pay and receive transcripts in one location. 

If you are not already registered for the Online Registry Website, you can create an online registry account. You will be asked to verify your identity. 

Steps to Ordering a Transcript

1. Log into the Online Registry Website

2. Navigate to the transcripts tab

3. Request a transcript online. You will be guided through the necessary approval and billing processes. 

4. Check the progress of your transcript order at any stage by logging back into the online registry.

Note: The Online Transcripts ordering service is not available for the following:

·       Apprehended Violence Order (AVO) proceedings

·       Suppressed proceedings.

Please see below for how to download and lodge an order form.

Are you a non-party in a court proceeding (i.e. you are not a named defendant, complainant, legal representative, prosecution or plaintiff)?

Download and lodge an order form (PDF, 89.2 KB)

Anyone not associated with an existing case, will need to make a written request for a transcript or copy of a sound recording using the above form. The form must be sent to the particular local court in which the case was heard.

To order a transcript or a copy of a sound recording:

  • Complete the application form for a transcript or sound recording that is available on the local court forms page 
  • Pay the set fee or seek the fee to be waived or postponed
  • Email, post or hand the completed form with the fees to the relevant local court. A list of local court locations and contact information is available here

In most cases a copy of the sound recording will be provided approximately two (2) weeks after the date ordered. 

In most cases a transcript will be provided approximately four (4) weeks after the date ordered. If the transcript is required urgently, you should specify the date required on the order form. Every effort will be made to provide the transcript sooner, however, no guarantee is offered.

Can you make additional copies of transcripts or sound recordings?

No. Copyright of the transcripts or sound recording is owned by the state. Transcripts or sound recordings cannot be photocopied or used in any other way without permission from the Reporting Services Branch or the crown.

Last updated:

06 Oct 2023

Was this content useful?
We will use your rating to help improve the site.
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Please don't include personal or financial information here
Top Return to top of page Top